I am not a pro organizer, but between myself and my children, I have spent a large number of hours maintaining a decluttered closet full of items that I use and void of items that just sit there. So, if you want to get somewhat organized and know what you have and use what you have, take a few hours to complete the closet self-inventory. Here are a few tips to get you started.
- First, create 3 piles: Keep, Donate, Sell
- Go through your closet and touch each item and decide which of the three piles it belongs. (If you haven’t used it in a year or more, it may be time to part with it and make room for something you will love!)
- Try on each item, if necessary, in front of a mirror to help you decide.
- You may want to take your Keep pile and separate it by season. If you have storage space, you can even store away the season of items not in use.
- I like to organize my closet by color, but you can find an orderly way to put things back in your closet by sections.
- Repeat every 6 months or so to maintain!
And don’t forget to include your drawers!