While in NYC, my husband and I were inspired by some artwork we found in Chelsea Market by Ashleigh Verrier. We absolutely loved her work and found that you can purchase it through her site called Verrier Handcrafted. I highly recommend you take a look! We thought for a fun art night at home, we would use her work to inspire us to create our own pieces. I produced the perfume bottle and books/purse and he produced the lady in the dress. I think they turned our really fun!
Author Archives: joliezbeauty
Make-up Bag Sewing Project
Today I learned a new skill thanks to a fantastic teacher via a youtube video, Gretchen Hirsch. She gave fantastic step-by-step instructions on how to sew these cute little clutch pouches. She is very lively and skilled at sewing and gives great explanations while doing each step. I am a beginner when it comes to sewing and I realized that doing these make-up pouches, which seemed intimidating at first, was quite doable with a great teacher along your side. So, I would like to say thank you to her and encourage anyone to challenge yourself and explore a new skill or talent!
Dior Forever Skin Correct Concealer
I love this concealer! Dior Forever Skin Correct Concealer is a creamy, moisturizing concealer that is 24-hour, long wearing and gives full coverage. It works great to add that extra coverage on top of my foundation to give the skin that creamy, smooth flawless look. And best of all, although it is a higher price point, it lasts several months for me because a little goes such a long way!
Blue Ya Away
Check out one of my new favorite eyeshadow palettes. “Blue Ya Away” by Morphe. You can pick this up at Ulta Beauty for $18. Here I used these colors in the look below: “applause”, “self-azured”, “whoa show”, “indiglo”, and “opening act” (the white one). I can create so many different looks with this palette and do a new look everyday! The colors are vibrant, but not overpowering, so they are still natural for everyday, yet pop! They are always long-wearing and stay in place.
A Place to Feel Pretty
Do you have a place to feel pretty? It may be fancy or not so much, but how fun is it to create a place to feel pretty? I remember as younger girl loving watching my mom sit and do her makeup in her space. It was simple, but it was her go-to place to get ready and so it was special to me. Now I have a place of my own for my daughters to admire. I love this pic because you can see the cross-stitched picture of a couple holding hands that my grandmother made for us for our wedding.
Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser
How often should you wash your face? I recommend washing your face morning and night. One of my current favorite cleansers is Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser. Glossier is an up and coming cosmetic company with a strong online presence. The cleanser is very gentle and conditioning and feels good on my normal-to-dry skin. My skin feels softer and glowier after using it! What is your favorite cleanser?
Basic Skincare Routine
Are you looking for a basic skincare routine? With so many products on the market, it is no wonder how knowing what to put on your skin each day and night can be a mystery. So, to keep it very simple, I will share something basic that can be done both morning and night. More products can be added to this regimen, but doing this will be a start and help develop a good routine/habit.
- Facial Cleanser (Choose for your skintype-Dry, Normal, or Oily)
- Toner (Removes any excess dirt, oil, or make-up and to prepare your skin for the next step)
- Serum (Pick your type based on what you want more of. Ex: anti-aging, brightening, etc.)
- Moisturizer (Choose for your skintype-Dry, Normal, or Oily)
Less is More
I find that “less is more” is often a principle to live by everyday. It is so easy to obtain stuff and more stuff! When I get something new, I try to envision what purpose it will hold and when it comes into my home I create a place for it to stay. Sometimes, that means getting rid of something old that is no longer being used to make room for something new. This photo featured inspires just that idea and takes it even further to another level, that of using your fashion as art on display to be enjoyed even when not in use. Pictured is Chanel’s shoe room in one the NYC boutique stores. We can see that the shoes are displayed with plenty of space along the shelving as if each is a piece of art. While many may not have a lot of closet space, it is a sure reminder to make the space available beautiful. So, let this inspire each of us to beautify our space and enjoy our “stuff” in more than one way. And of course, we can all aspire to having a lovely chandelier, too!
Basic Ten Items
While these basic ten items may slightly vary, I wish to share with you what I consider to be my basic ten items for my make-up bag. In case you were wondering where to start or what really matters, here’s what you should always have in your bag…
- Foundation or BB Cream (To even out complexion)
- Concealer (For more coverage on problem areas)
- Bronzer (To add a sunkissed color to face all around)
- Blush (To add a hint of color to apple of cheeks)
- Eye Primer (To create a base for eyeshadow and stay put)
- Brow Pencil (To shape the brows and frame the eye)
- Neutral eyeshadow (To give color and contour to the eye area)
- Eyeliner (To define the eye)
- Mascara (To make your lashes pop)
- Clear lip gloss (To add some shine and moisture to your lips)
I am not a pro organizer, but between myself and my children, I have spent a large number of hours maintaining a decluttered closet full of items that I use and void of items that just sit there. So, if you want to get somewhat organized and know what you have and use what you have, take a few hours to complete the closet self-inventory. Here are a few tips to get you started.
- First, create 3 piles: Keep, Donate, Sell
- Go through your closet and touch each item and decide which of the three piles it belongs. (If you haven’t used it in a year or more, it may be time to part with it and make room for something you will love!)
- Try on each item, if necessary, in front of a mirror to help you decide.
- You may want to take your Keep pile and separate it by season. If you have storage space, you can even store away the season of items not in use.
- I like to organize my closet by color, but you can find an orderly way to put things back in your closet by sections.
- Repeat every 6 months or so to maintain!
And don’t forget to include your drawers!